One of the simplest methods to improve your search engine optimization is to look at the way you name your files. Before writing this tutorial, we did a lot of research on file-names and found that search engines like Google give too much importance to file names. You should think what you want put in your web page and then give a relevant file name to this page.
Just try giving any keyword in Google search engine and you will find file names highlighted with the keyword you have given. It proves that your file name should have appropriate keywords.
File Naming Style
- The filename should preferably be short and descriptive.
- It is always good to use same keywords in a filename as well as in page title.
- Do not use filenames such as service.htm or job.htm as they are generic. Use actual service name in your file name such as computer-repairing.htm.
- Do not use more than 3-4 words in file names.
- Separate the keywords with hyphens rather than underscores.
- Try to use 2 keywords if possible.